Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Oblication

The Oblication - you all know what I'm talking about. The "vacation" that is taken out of a sense of family obligation. It's a trip you want to take, it's important to share time with your family, but it really isn't a vacation, right?

I can't take credit for the word. That must go to my husband. He coined the word. But I think it shows some brilliance.

Now, if my parents or my in-laws read this post, please don't take it the wrong way. We love you. We want to spend time with you, and we want to bring our son to your house so we can all visit together. But if we were taking our dream family vacation, it would be to Hawaii, or Disneyland, or Halifax - not your house. And, likewise, if you need a relaxing vacation, we don't expect for you to come here. Our house is not intrinsically relaxing. We are busy, there is always something going on here. There is always something to do. If you want a vacation, go to Mexico or Spain, don't come here. But if you want a good dose of family, love and anxiety, please come on up any time. We love you.

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.