Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Craziness - this time it's political, not personal

I don't usually rant about American politics. I usually will talk about it, but it really doesn't concern me that much. However, since I now have a blog, I have a platform to at least recognize the mid-term elections in the States.

I'm left-wing. Anyone who knows me surely knows that. And I shed tears of joy when Obama got in - but all the while knowing that he really didn't stand a chance. Because he didn't, did he? The worst economic disaster since the Great Depression and the American public expected it to be fixed with the wave of a Democratic wand? That's not how it works, folks. After decades of poor economic policy and overspending (along with a lot of other stuff that I'm really not THAT informed on) plus two wars (let's not get started on them!), the economy was almost collapsing under the weight of it's debt. But a change in administration would fix it all in 2 years! Really?

The reality of it is this: it wouldn't have mattered who won the 2008 election. He would get chewed up and spit out by the instant-gratification society that has culminated from the past 40 or 50 years of uber-prosperity that we've had (we all do realize how spoiled we are in North American at this particular time in history, right?). If he couldn't fix it in a few months, then he would fail. And no one could fix it that fast. It's a no-win situation. I know there's a lot more to it than that, but it doesn't have to be that complicated. It's simple. No matter who got in or what he did, it could never have been enough.

From what I've heard, he's actually done a few things right. And not because the Republicans were willing to work with him. The Republicans tripped him up every step of the way. So how does anyone actually get anything done when the other side isn't even willing to listen? I think most Americans know that the problem is a deep political division. The question is how to bridge the divide and get back on track.

Well, I guess if it was that easy, someone would have done it already. When did all this division occur anyhow? I don't remember it being quite this bad 20 years ago.

American friends: any comments? And do you want a couch to sleep on while you find a place to live in Canada?

1 comment:

  1. What's going on down here is scary. This country is well and truly divided... both politically AND racially. I'm tellin' ya... I'm so glad I can leave if I want. These tea baggers are absolutely NUTSO! Seriously frightening!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.