Friday, July 22, 2011

52 Small Steps - Week 1

It struck me this morning that I could write a special series of posts outlining one simple environmental change a person could make each week for a year.  I was going to sit down and plan it out, but that hasn't happened, so I'm going to wing it.  I'm going to aim to make one suggestion a week that people can do at home that will help with their environmental footprint.  (I also thought that I might not be able to come up with one a week for a whole year, but if I can't, it will be a really good exercise for me, too). 

Now, a lot of the things I write about are undoubtedly things you do at home already.  But for some they won't be.  So if you've already committed to the something I'm suggesting, take the week off.  Or take time to read an article or book that might educate you further about the state of our world.  I'll try to include links to good articles and books for inspiration.

Are you with me?  ...  Good!  Let's get started.

Probably the first thing I did when I started making changes was to commit to taking cloth bags to the grocery store.  (This is an easy one, because a lot of you probably already do it).

I've heard it all - "I always leave them in the car" "I forget to put them in the car" "They're bulky" "They won't fit in my purse" - all of these are just excuses.  It's like any other habit.  It takes practice.  And after a few months, you'll have them with you most of the time.  It's easy, it's not expensive, and it makes a difference.  So if you haven't yet committed, I encourage you to make that one small change this week.

Site suggestion:
http://www.oildecline.com/index.htm - this isn't the prettiest site I've ever seen, and I haven't read through the whole site, but it looks like it has good information on peak oil and the decline we are facing.  If you haven't realized it yet, it might be good to read about how cheap oil is coming to an end and we really do have to change our ways.


With the end of the Shuttle program this week, I was drawn back to that famous line from Neil Armstrong "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind".  Each of these suggestions is a small step for a person to take, but if we all do them, it will be a big leap forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.