Monday, July 25, 2011

Everything Is, Indeed, Connected

There is a theme in the books I read. 

I read every day.  Usually for half an hour while I am riding my stationary bike.  I always want to read more, but other things get in the way.  The books I read come from three genres.  All are non-fiction. 

The Environment - as if you couldn't have guessed - is an area where many books are being written these days.  They are good.  They are scary.  They educate me so I can help plan where we need to be in the future.

Health - because I was raised in a household with chronic illness, and because I deal with my own challenges, I read a lot about health.  Lately, it's been about nutrition and food (which crosses over with the Environment issue).  Many may think me a hypochondriac.  But I'm not (most of the time - I'll admit to moments of it when I'm anxious and have a strange pain, but that's not uncommon).  I am convinced that our health can be greatly improved by nutrition, exercise and general balance.  And I want to learn how to do that.  I generally don't trust doctors with my life (however, if I'm in a car accident or have a blazing infection, I want them on it - just not for maintenance).  I consult them for advice, I don't rely on them to know everything about MY body.  How can they?  We're all so different.

Spirituality - I have a driving need to understand where we came from before and where we are going after this life.  So I read about it.  And the more I read, the better my understanding becomes - logically.  It would suck if I was more confused after all that time spent.

But it seems to me that these three subjects are at least somewhat (if not inextricably) connected. 

I really don't think anyone can logically argue that the health of the planet and the health of an individual human being aren't connected.  It would be like saying - well, I have cancer in my lungs, bones and liver, but my baby toe is doing just fine.  If the planet is off balance, so are you.  On an arguably more local level, if the food you are eating is grown in marginalized soil, then your health will also be marginalized.  To aid in our health problems, we need to start with the soil.

Spirituality comes into the fray in a slightly different way.  After all, in this lifetime your spirit (soul, if you will) is here to experience a physical life - so the physical must take priority while we are here.  But to not nurture your spirit is to deny your spiritual connection with all other living things - and with God.  So you must recognize your spiritual side and nurture it.  By doing that, you will recognize your connection with all other living beings, as well as your eternal nature.  This allows compassion and fairness ... and perhaps the chance to realize that since we are eternal we should maybe take care of our planet even better than we take care of our temporary housing (the body).

So, yes, everything is, indeed, connected.  But somehow we like to compartmentalize and not see those connections - perhaps that allows us to do things that we somehow know we shouldn't.  Or perhaps it's too much to think of it all as connected.  But I would suggest pondering it at least now and again. 

1 comment:

  1. The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza parlor and and asks, "can you make me One with Everything?" (nothing to do with anything really; call it a spirituality joke)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.