Thursday, July 28, 2011

Garden July 28, 2011

The last post I made about the garden was a month ago:

http://sandiratch.blogspot.com/2011/06/garden-june-30-2011.html

My, how my garden grows.  There is less to worry about with the garden now.  It's like a runaway train - doing it all on it's own and getting a little too big.  I need not concern myself over whether the plants will survive or not.  Most of them are large enough to deal with the pests that are around (the one exception to that are the cabbages and the cabbage worms that I need to pick off every day).  The rain has been very consistent, as have sunny days, so it's a great combination for growth.  We were blessed not to be hit with the horrendous hail that they got just 10 minutes north of us in Millet.  So all I do now is prune, weed, and harvest.  Oh ... and spray for blight (have to do that TODAY).

My back yard on a sunny Thursday morning in July

Peas, squash, beans, carrots, turnips, celery, etc.

Carrots, lettuce, garlic, onions, tomatoes, squash, peas

Tomatoes, cabbage, beans, squash, potatoes

Tomatoes

Cherry tomatoes getting ready.  Come on sunshine!

Larger tomatoes

Remember those sick tomato plants I had?  Well, they are almost ready to offer up several ripe romas.

One of the tomato plants that I kept indoors through the winter.

And a tomato it is about to offer us.

Next years indoor winter tomatoes - graciously provided by the compost bin.

Squash!
 
It is at this time of the year that I am always reminded why I do this.  There is the promise of winter food put away in the basement, the sweet taste of peas and baby carrots, the knowledge that I'm doing something good for my family and for the soil.  It is a grand thing.  All that work is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.