Did you know? (from here):
- 500 billion to 1 trillion plastic bags are used every year, worldwide.
- About 1 million plastic bags are used every minute.
- A single plastic bag can take up to 1,000 years to degrade.
- More than 3.5 million tons of plastic bags, sacks and wraps were discarded in 2008.
- Only 1 in 200 plastic bags in the UK are recycled (BBC).
- The U.S. goes through 100 billion single-use plastic bags (Canada goes through 9-15 billion per year). This costs retailers about $4 billion a year.
- Plastic bags are the second-most common type of ocean refuse, after cigarette butts (2008)
- Plastic bags remain toxic even after they break down.
- Every square mile of ocean has about 46,000 pieces of plastic floating in it
Come join us for a showing of the 45-minute educational version of the film and a question and answer session afterwards. We want to come up with some solutions for our part of the world to the problems that plastics and plastic bags pose.
Tickets are $2 each and can be bought at City Hall or at the Wetaskiwin Public Library. We have limited seating (117, to be precise), so get your tickets early!
After all, we can't stop all the plastics in the world from being used, but it's pretty easy to bring your own bags to the store and do your little bit.