Sunday, August 21, 2011

Fall approaching

Central Alberta is an interesting place to live.  Winter doesn't really end until May and fall starts mid-August.  Not to complain.  There are lots of great things about living here ... but long summers are not one of them.  And this one seems to have sped by at the speed of light.

Summer is busy here.  The garden takes concentrated effort - when you have, at best, three months to grow things, you have to keep on it.  Long days allow things to grow quickly, but there's no dawdling here.  There is also a certain window for yard and home maintenance.  Everyone seems to race to get fences built/repaired, painting done, yards cleaned up.  It's about time for me to realize that the window is closing and that painting must be done soon!

The really disconcerting thing is that mid-August, like it or not, the leaves start to turn yellow.  There is a certain stand of poplar trees (in Leduc at the 2A turn-off) that are always starting to show yellow around the 15th of the month.  It is FAR too early.  We know that.  But that's our seasonal round.  That's what you get used to here.  Even if we had mid-April to mid-September, it would feel a little more fair.  This doesn't.  And we WILL complain about it.  We have earned the right.

I am starting to feel ready for fall, though - even on this most beautiful of summer days.  A certain routine has been lost over the summer, and I'm looking forward to re-claiming it.  I look forward to getting up every morning and taking my son to grade 3.  Working, writing, blogging, housework.  And my precious days alone.  Soon I will have them back.  I love my son, I love my husband.  I love my days alone.


The leaves are starting to fall on the back lawn.  The pumpkins are getting bigger (although with the late start this year, I don't even know if any of them will be ready).  The tomatoes are finally getting red (a few of them).  The onions are braided, the peas are done.  Another summer nears its end.  And the start of a new year approaches.  Because, let's face it, when you have kids, the New Year starts the day after Labour Day.

I hope you all have a happy new year.  And enjoy settling back into your routines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.