Saturday, August 13, 2011

Onions!

More harvesting!  Best time of the year!  Fresh food!! 

Here's a tip.  We had a great rainfall here Thursday morning, so I had a bucket of rainwater.  Instead of washing my onions in the sink, I washed them in the bucket in the backyard.  Why use city water when I don't have to.

Onions are ready to pull when their tops bend over:

I've waited longer this year than I usually do, and I have some larger onions for it, but if you leave them too long they will start to rot, and then they won't store well.

Best to leave them dry in the sun for a few days (or longer) before storing for the winter.  I braid the greens, but if you don't cure them properly, they will mould.  Just as easy to cut them off and store them without.

Here's the set-up - washing and drying:




I'll let them dry for a few days and then braid them and let them continue to hang outside under the roof of our deck - so that the greens dry completely.  Any mould that grows is cut off.  Undoubtedly, some of the onions don't last.  I use the small ones first.  Save the larger ones for longer storage as they tend to survive longer. 

Oh!  And don't forget the turnips.  Turnips are new to me this year, so I haven't stored them before (heck!  hadn't even cooked with them before this summer).  They are apparently really good for you and high in vitamin C.  I hear that you can store them in a cool place for about 4 months (greens cut off, of course).  Here are some of the larger (and I'm sure bitter and woody) ones that I should have picked sooner (largest is about 4 inches or 10cm across)!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know that about onions (about how the tops bend over when ready)- thanks for the tip! I love the photo of the onions all clean and lined up to dry.

    My grandma also says that if you bend the tops and step on them to flatten them, the bulb grows faster, so you get a larger onion to harvest. But I haven't tried that out before.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.