Monday, August 8, 2011

Soap Turtle

Growing up we used to have this crocheted turtle.  The neck had a fine string through it that allowed it to open up and then be closed again.  Into the neck went all the old bits of soap that you'd normally throw out - those last scraps of soap that just don't seem useful anymore.

I inherited the turtle when my grandmother moved out of her house.  And I recently dug it out of it's hiding spot.
Here's the turtle with a whole bar of soap in it.

One of my favourite sayings from World War II is:

Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or do without.

And I feel very much that way about soap.  Ask my husband.  He gets crap from me if I find soap in the garbage can.  So I made my own soap bag:




It's a great way to use up all the old bits and pieces.  I wish I had a pattern for the turtle, though.  It has much more personality.  Whoever made it (I suspect my great-grandmother) obviously did not use cotton - the thing has lasted decades (it's AT LEAST 40 years old).

2 comments:

  1. A friend of mine made a soap turtle pattern for me a few years ago, it's knit but it's cute and it works. You can find it here: http://www.mingledyarn.net/patterns.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a soap turtle when I was growing up in the 50's and 60's and it lasted into the 70's. About 10 years ago I made a little bag for our soap shards like the one above,which works, but it's lacking turtle personality. I am making a soap turtle out of green netting, but wish I had a crochet pattern, too.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.