Monday, September 19, 2011

Bag It Success

Well, we did it!  We had our premiere of "Bag It" tonight.  We gave away/sold about 120 tickets.  60 people came.  That was slightly disappointing ... But only slightly. 

In our town we have 6 aldermen plus the mayor and all but one came tonight.  The press was there and many business owners, so all in all, the important folks were there and I consider it a success. 

I had the idea to show this movie.  I believe it was last Easter as we were headed home from vacation that I suggested to my husband maybe we could host a showing of the movie at the Museum (mostly I just wanted to see the movie and the Library didn't own a copy - and this would be one way to see it and share it).  But John Maude and Susan Quinn (of Maude Financial here in Wetaskiwin) took the idea and ran with it - and made it their goal to get the city council to ban plastic bags from our city.  The public library, the city and the Greening Committee of the Reynolds-Alberta Museum also all put a lot of effort in.  The best I was hoping for was to educate people.  But it looks like John and Susan might reach their goal.  Two of our city councillors are willing to put forward a motion to ban single-use plastic bags within our municipality. 

I felt very grateful tonight as I sat there looking at all these people watching this movie that I wanted to show them.  I was grateful that I had the idea to do this, grateful that someone else was able to put it into motion, and just so grateful to know that I had played a part in it all.  It just proves what I've heard so many people say - one person can make a difference.  Well, in this case, I helped to make a difference - there were many other people involved who did a lot of work, but I helped.  And if all of us had just thought we couldn't do anything, then nothing would have been done.

Bags aren't banned in our city yet, but we are having the discussion, and most people seem pretty supportive of it.  And again I'm grateful - and proud of everyone involved.

One of my favourite quotes seems apropos here:

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world:  indeed it's the only thing that ever has."  Margaret Meade

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Sandi!!! This is a fantastic start!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, awesome, Sandi! Good for you! I wish I had kept myself up-to-date on this showing. I would have come out for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.