Sunday, November 6, 2011

52 Small Steps - Week 16

If you haven't already realized this, I should fill you in:  This little weekly post on my blog is not to berate people for not doing enough for the environment - mostly it's to remind myself of what I need to do.  Most of the posts have been about things that we have already changed in our household or things that I think we should change. 

This week I'm going to mention another environmental tip that we've been working on in our house: eat the food you have.

I don't know why, but for some reason people in our culture decide what they want to eat and then go out and either buy it or buy the ingredients to make it.  I've been working on looking at the ingredients we have and making something from that.  It has added a few new recipes to my repetoire, and has provided for some variety.  It's fun ... but it's definitely a different way of looking at things.  And a much more sensible way at that.

I've also been working on actually eating the leftovers instead of throwing them out after they've gone bad. 

Believe me, we are not 100% with either task, but awareness is the first obstacle, and most of the time I am aware.

If you've never read anything by Michael Pollan, today might be the time to start.  He's written several food-related books.  My favourite is "In Defense of Food".  He also wrote "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and "Food Rules".  He's an entertaining writer and is very well versed in food politics.

If you didn't already read it, check out this blog from the other day:  http://sandiratch.blogspot.com/2011/11/interesting-food-blog.html

Last week's "Small Steps" post:  http://sandiratch.blogspot.com/2011/10/52-small-steps-week-15.html

The following week's post can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.