Saturday, November 12, 2011

52 Small Steps - week 17 - a crafty idea

With Christmas coming up, it's time to think of ways to be more environmentally friendly with Christmas gifts.

I was just reading someone's blog about what to do with old calendars and I made me think of what I use old calendars for.  I make these German Stars out of them:


I won't write out the instructions.  They can be found here.  But I will say that I cut strips (about 1cm or less in width) from calendars (how wide you cut them depends on how long they can be) and use those strips to make the stars.  They can also be made from ribbon (but that's not eco-friendly at all since ribbon is plastic ... so don't waste brand new ribbon on these stars!  In fact, don't BUY ribbon - but I'll talk about that in another post).

There is some question as to the history of these stars, but they are credited to a German named Freiderich Froebel who devised simple tools for teaching children.

You can also dip these stars in wax and sprinkle them with sparkles, but I prefer them just the way they are.  A lovely, hand-crafted gift for anyone's tree.  It's free, it's re-using, and people will appreciate the thought and effort that went into them. 

P.S., I use a paper clip, folded out, to help fold the points of the star.  A little practice might be needed on the first 2 or 3, but in no time you'll have it figured out. 

If you missed last week's post, you can find it here.

1 comment:

  1. Here's another star to add to your repertoire! It recycles, too!

    http://thecheesethief.blogspot.com/2011/11/how-to-fold-glass-like-stars.html

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.