Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The good the bad and the hopeful

I'm really tired of corporations and wealthy people bullying the rest of us.  They do it all the time.  But you know my pet peeve - disposable plastics.  So that's what's pissing me off today.

I'm tired of plastics producers suing small bag companies (like Chico Bags - the lawsuit was settled, by the way), changing educational materials, and bullying governments who try to do something about plastic bag pollution.

And now the sponsors of American Idol are apparently pissed off about the stars supporting the Plastic Pollution Coallition's awareness campaign about single use plastics:  http://plasticpollutioncoalition.org/2011/11/who-is-afraid-to-refuse-disposable-plastic/

But I'm encouraged by all the positive news I hear about.  I'm happy that California's attorney general is suing plastic bottle manufacturers for calling their bottles "biodegradable":  http://www.startribune.com/nation/132632738.html.  And I'm happy that a lot of great people are getting behind the non-plastic revolution.  Included in this are a group of students from Idaho.

I really hope people figure out that that there is a price to pay for some of the "conveniences" we have.  And it might not be a price we really want to pay.  Who should we listen to:  the money makers who want to keep making and selling plastic bags, or our kids who have to live with the repercussions of what we've allowed manufacturers to do?

Lecture done for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.