Thursday, December 29, 2011

Off Key

I had a lovely compliment given to me on Christmas Eve.  I went to church with my Mother In Law and my son (I am not a church-going person, but my MIL is and I like the singing).  We got there early and sang Christmas carols with the congregation.  Then watched the children's Christmas Pageant.  It was fun.

When my 8-year-old son started singing, the stranger sitting beside me leaned over and said "Well, he certainly didn't get your voice did he?"  I thanked her and chatted back with her, but hoped desperately that my son didn't hear us talking.  Truth be told, he is terribly off key, but he enjoys singing so much that I just love to hear him doing it.  He belts it out there louder than anyone.  He gets so much joy out of it, how could I tell him not to do it, or embarras him by telling him that he's bad at it?

I don't want to discourage him from anything at this age.  He'll get enough of that when he's older.  For now I'll just sit back and bask in the glorious off-keyed-ness of his song!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.