Thursday, December 8, 2011

Walking on Broken Glass

There's this weird thing that happens to me.  At least I think it's weird.  It would be great to know that I'm not the only one.  But I'm definitely the only one in our house ...

About once or twice per year since we've lived in our house (over 5 years now), I get a piece of glass stuck in the bottom of my foot - or poking it at least.  The first one was subtle.  I felt what was like a sliver in the bottom of my foot, and when I went to pull it out with tweezers, it turned out to be a tiny piece of glass.  I can't remember the details of each incident, but it's to the point of comedy now.  Whenever I tell my husband, he shakes his head and we laugh.

I do walk around the house in bare feet in the summer, and sock feet in the winter - but so does my 8-year-old son.  And my husband does wear slippers in the winter, but sock feet or bare in the summer, too.   It's not like we break an abnormal amount of glass in our house.  Or like I don't clean it up properly when we do. 

And it doesn't only happen at home.  Take yesterday, for instance.  I went to help some ladies from our choir group wrap some presents.  I went to our regular meeting space, took off my boots and put on my Birkenstocks to wear inside (the floor is a finished particle board, so I don't like wearing stocking feet in there because of the potential for very dirty socks and slivers).  Then when I left I took off the Birks and put on my boots, and drove 5 minutes to Daniel's school to pick him up.  When I got there, I got out of the car, crossed the street and walked about 30 feet down the sidewalk before something poked me in the bottom of my foot.  (I assumed sliver of wood).  It tuned out to be a little triangle of glass - not quite a centimeter on a side.  How?  I'd walked out of the building, across the street to my car, drove 5 minutes, walked across a street and 30 feet down the sidewalk before the glass poked me.  I don't know where I picked it up, but I'd had shoes on pretty much all day. 

So, since this has happened to me at least 5 times in the past 5 years, I have to wonder why.  I am one of those people who believes things happen for a reason.  And if the same strange thing keeps happening, maybe there's a message in there somewhere.  I know, most people would just think "Hah.  Coincidence!"   But I'm one of those people who thinks there are no coincidences.  Especially when it's such an obvious and annoying thing trying to get my attention. 

So if it has meaning, what is it??  The first thing I thought of was Annie Lennox's song "Walking on Broken Glass".  So I watched the music video this morning:


Aside from loving Hugh Laurie (pre-"House"), thinking that maybe I should watch Black Adder again and put a heart-shaped beauty mark on my cheek, the video didn't touch any raw nerves for me.  I have a wonderful husband and no bitter lost loves in my life.

So I'll work on figuring out what having a sharp thing in the bottom of my foot is trying to tell me.  But any suggestions from any of you would be appreciated. 

And remember, if you like my posts and would like to be part of a discussion, please like the "Renaissance Woman" page on Facebook - the link is on this blog somewhere on the right-hand side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.