Friday, January 6, 2012

Pasta

I make my own pasta. Don't get me started on how much better home-made pasta tastes than the bought stuff. Like almost anything (opinions differ, but I think bought pizza is better than home-made), home-made is better.

I bought a pasta maker maybe a year ago and have been loving it ever since.  It takes time to make pasta, but when I have the time I really enjoy making (and eating) it.  I do store bought spaghetti when I'm in a rush.  Anyhow, you need to hang the pasta - it doesn't have to be dry when you boil it (although it can be), but it needs somewhere to hang so it doesn't turn back into a lump of goo.

Up until this Christmas, I've been hanging the pasta on a book rack (I used to sell Usborne Books - but I am NOT a salesperson).  It takes up a lot of space and certainly wasn't designed for that.  I also used a laundry drying rack that I found abandoned at a clothes drop-off (currently my herbs are hanging on that - I really need to get them ground up and into jars!).

So for Christmas my hubby bought me a pasta rack:


It's amazing and really holds a lot of pasta - more than the book rack, I think.  Anyhow, I didn't want to store it on top of the fridge without covering it to keep the dust off, and I really didn't want to have a plastic thing just sitting up there, so I used some fabric I had here at home and made a cover:


I'm no seamstress, but I do find it very rewarding to design and make something that I'll use. 

1 comment:

  1. How cool! And decorative too! I've been wanting to try to make homemade pasta, but just never have. You may have inspired me with this post!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.