Thursday, March 29, 2012

Proud

Is it wrong to say you're proud of yourself?  I don't think it is - or should at least it shouldn't be.  I have a hard time with it, though, because one sounds conceited when one says it.

But here it goes.  I am proud of myself.  I submitted an article to a peer-reviewed journal - since I am no longer in the academic world, this is strange - and new, since even when I was an academic I never submitted anything to a peer-reviewed journal.  I've been working on the article for 3 years (off and on).  It's all research from primary sources and I found photographs that had never been identified, let alone published before.  The topic is not written about and only after I had done a great deal of research did another guy put up a website about the topic (which was crushing to me, but I kept going with encouragement from many people).

I do historical research, and until recently just kind of did it because I enjoyed it and people would pay me to do it.  I still enjoy it, but now I realize I'm actually pretty good at it.  And I'm an okay writer, too.

So here's to saying "I'm proud of myself".  It is really scary to put so much effort into something and then hand it over to potential criticism.  I'm not good at criticism.  So I balk at such actions.  But what is the use of doing all that research if you don't share the results?  That would be a waste of time and rather selfish.

The editor, by the way, says he likes it "at first glance" - but he's not the peer who is reviewing it.  So we'll see.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Sandi! You have every right to be proud of yourself and I wish you all the luck in the world!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.