Saturday, June 30, 2012

Peas and Carrots

This spring as I was weeding out the garden and getting it ready to rototill, I found a carrot that had survived the winter.  It was a little bitty thing, not more than a couple of bites had we eaten it.  I always figure if something wants to grow that badly, I won't stand in its way, so I put it in a pot and watered it regularly.  Well, it has flowered!  For those of you who have never seen a carrot flower (which I'm guessing is most of you), here you go:



Interesting, no??

Also, I looked at the earliest peas I planted (same as the carrot, they were peas I found when cleaning up the garden - some were starting to sprout, so I put them all in a corner of the garden and let them do their thing) as some had blossomed the other day.  I was hoping to find a small pod.  And I was pleasantly surprised.  I should be eating peas within the week!  (For those not familiar with my pea fettish - they are my absolute favourite veggie fresh from the garden - so I'm SUPER excited).  For some nutritional information about peas see this site:  http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=55  We've already eaten some strawberries, too! 


And just for fun, I took this picture of a tomato leave - notice how the sun is sparkling off all the little hairs on its surface (click on the picture to enlarge).  Nature really is beautiful.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.