Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Garden Updates

We've been so busy with the back yard - building fences and gates - that I've had very little time to blog about anything.  So it's about time I updated a few things.

Most importantly ... the peas are in.  In the past three days, I've shelled, blanched and frozen a large freezer bag full.  Noel and Daniel helped shelling the peas a bit today, but I've done most of them.  This year I've eaten far fewer than usual.  I don't know if I had some vitamin deficiency in the past or if I'm just tired of them.  I don't think it's the latter, because I still enjoy them.  But for the past few years, it was like I was dying of thirst and the peas were the water.

I was pleased to be part of the Town and Country Garden Tour on the weekend.  It was the first one ever here in Wetaskiwin, and I would say about 30 people came through the backyard.  Maybe more.  I didn't count.  It was very nice to share with people.  I realized that not a lot of people in this area get heirloom seeds, so my efforts there are seemingly unique.

It is a busy time in the vegetable gardening world here.  I spent 11 hours today dealing with preserving food.  Picking strawberries at Steven's Strawberries, making jam, hulling and freezing strawberries, picking peas, freezing them.  Thinning carrots, cleaning the ones large enough to eat.  Picking broccoli and zucchini.  And on the day of picking, I usually make chocolate-dipped strawberries - which I did today.  They always go over well.  Yummy.

I tried something new today (those of you on Facebook may have read my status update already) ... I am drying the strawberry hulls to use as tea.  I was told that they are high in vitamin C and antioxidants.  And it seemed to make more sense than composting them.  I'm drying raspberry leaves as well for tea in the winter.

I just don't have the energy or time right now to post photos - it's 10:20 and I'm ready to go to bed (have not been sleeping well ... hope tonight is better).  I'll post more photos tomorrow I hope.

I really do encourage you all to try growing at least some of your own food if you don't already - or at least know how to.  We likely will need to know these skills in the future.  Food security is very important, and if you have the ability, you should try your hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.