Saturday, September 8, 2012

Opinions on Weight Loss

Wow!  Weight loss is a very sensitive issue.  No one has been at all unsupportive, which is nice, but a lot of people have strong opinions about how to go about it. 

I really love that people care enough to give advice.  Thank you all so much for caring enough about me to pass on information.  But each person needs to find their own way.  I may take your advice, but if I don't, please don't feel slighted.  I'm doing what's right for me.  As I should.  As should everyone.

To be clear, although the advice is good and may help either me or someone else, I'm not blogging to ask for advice, I'm blogging to force myself into it.  I've done this before, I know how to go about it, and I know what works for me.  But I've been lazy about it this year and making it public puts just a little more pressure on me.  Believe me, if I fail I'll be honest about it and I won't be totally crushed.  And then I may follow other people's advice.

I'm not really going on a diet - I just need to adjust my relationship to food.  I've been eating because I'm bored or stressed, not because I'm hungry.  (or because I get on the scale, am down a pound and give myself permission to eat)  And I need to stop doing that.  I need to stop wanting to eat all the time.  And I need to stop thinking about food so much.

I also need to break my sugar addiction (and if anyone says it's not addictive, I will vehemently disagree).  I've done this before many times as well.  What it means for me is going without sugar for about 3 days.  Then the cravings tend to go away.  After a while I'll think I can eat a little sugar again.  So I will.  And I'll be fine.  And then I'll gradually increase my intake until I'm having cravings and am back to my addiction and will have to break it again.  It's a long-held cycle that I'm well aware of.

I also want to make it clear that I exercise at least 30 minutes a day on my stationary bike.  And I do yoga at least once a week.  I want to do it more often, but housework usually seems more important (although it's not - and no one needs lecture me on that). 

So far today I've had breakfast (egg on toast with fresh peas from the garden) and lunch (ham sandwich on leftover french bread which probably had 500 calories and no fibre).  But I haven't been snacking in between which is good.  No chocolate consumed. 

Onwards ...

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sandi!
    Just want to say I wish you the best with this and I agree that weight loss is very personal and there are way too many opinions on it lol. Good luck and I also agree that sugar is addictive and the more i have the more I want. All the best girl and I love to read your blog as always!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.