Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The environment or my cravings??

Okay, I made an ethically weak choice yesterday.  I was feeling overwhelmed - I hadn't gotten done what I wanted to yesterday, my son was emotional and I was craving something sweet.  So I went to the grocery store and bought some of those individual yogurts that taste like desserts but are 35 calories each.  And they are YUMMY!!

When you are craving sweets, these things do the trick.

But here's the rub.  They come overpackaged in small plastic containers that do not have a recycling symbol on them.  So I'll be throwing plastic in the garbage.  And I'm mad at myself over that.

I don't plan on eating them often, and I hope these cravings (or stress-induced sugar requirements) will go away.  But for now I'll enjoy them and try not to be too mad at myself.

You see ... here's the thing:  I understand that my individual actions DO make a difference.  And that I've influenced some people to think differently about plastic consumption and how they treat the environment.  But until the government outlaws the use of such things as individual servings packaged in un-recyclable cups, or until the individual companies do something about it, the problem won't be solved.

So today I sent a message to the company's (ULTIMA Foods) Facebook page and asked if they would consider recyclable packaging.  It won't solve the problem, but it is a step in the right direction.

I would ask anyone else who feels the same way to write to the companies who still don't use recyclable packaging. 

As a side-note, I write about these things because I want people to know that I'm not perfect.  I have ethics and ideals, but I am not 100% always on the right track.  Just like everyone else.  When one person admits their faults, it makes it easier for other people to accept theirs.  Transparency is vital.  And I strive for it - hopefully one day I will achieve it, but I doubt that I'll ever be completely honest with myself and everyone else.

1 comment:

  1. Here's one thing you CAN do: donate them to Daniel's school's art room. We can ALWAYS use more containers for water and paint!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.