Friday, October 19, 2012

Fridays on the Weight front

Less than a week to go until we head off on vacation.  My goal was to be at 140 when we left.  I'm not sure I'll make that.  But I am going to try.

This has been a really interesting process.  In the past 20 years I've never gone on a "diet", per se, to lose weight.  I've restricted certain foods to boost my health, but the actual goal of losing weight has not been the impetus. 

I can totally see where I could re-gain the weight in a matter of weeks.  So maintaining some of the habits I've developed over the past 6 weeks is totally going to be important.  And I hope I can do that, but I'm not sure I will.  I falter, like everyone else.

Here is my weight chart from the past 6 weeks:




Again, I didn't weigh myself every day - and I didn't weigh myself at all in that week I was away from home.  So it is a little misrepresentative.  But it does show the general pattern.  There is a nice, gradual downward trend.

What is REALLY interesting is that for the 4 middle weeks, if I had ONLY weighed myself on Fridays, I wouldn't have been losing any weight at all.  Here's how it went down:

September 7:  147 lbs
September 14:  143.2 lbs
September 21:  143.6 lbs
September 28:  143 lbs
October 12:  143 lbs
October 19:  141.4 lbs

There are arguments both for and against weighing every day.  If you weigh yourself and you've lost 1/2 a pound, you might allow yourself to eat (I do!).  However, if you gained 1/2 a pound, maybe you'd get back on the bandwagon.

But, if you only weigh yourself once a week, well, you can see that practice would have been devastating to me.  I would have lost four pounds the first week and not another pound for the next 3.  And that just wasn't the case.  I would have been totally depressed and probably started eating more again.

Think I can make it to 140 before next Wednesday?  Well, I might be able to, we'll see on Wednesday morning.  But nearly 6 pounds in 6 weeks - well, I can live with that.  My clothes are looser, people have noticed that I'm losing weight.  I feel better about it all.  And that is what matters.  Funny how much of a difference 6 lousy pounds makes.

Will I keep up the weight loss while on vacation?  Probably not - I just don't want to gain any.  I'm going to try not to overdo it with the eating, because even though it was my goal to lose weight for the vacation, I would like to lose a few more pounds after.  So I'm not going to allow myself to eat everything I want, but I'm going to indulge a little.

The only person I will disappoint if I gain back the weight is ME.  Nobody else really cares what I look like - they just care if I'm happy about it.  So it's up to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.