Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pink Eye - the conclusion ... I hope!!

I am blessed with caring friends.  My heart overflows!

It's been three weeks since I first came down with this itchy damned eye!  It's been gross and ugly and painful and annoying.  Funny what you can get used to.  But the poor people who had to look at it!! 

Well, over the past couple of days, a couple of caring friends of mine encouraged me to see the eye doctor - I'd already seen my family doctor and a doctor at a drop-in clinic, but everyone thought this was lasting too long.  So yesterday I got an appointment to see my eye doctor this morning.  Left to my own devices, I probably wouldn't have gone, but I'm really glad I did.

The conclusion is that I have had a viral infection.  It was contagious the week before symptoms showed up and two weeks after, but I'm likely no longer infectious.  I hope my family has managed to miss out on it altogether - so far neither of my men have any signs or symptoms. 

I started coming down with a cold on Saturday, so that's probably why it flared up that night.

The great thing my optometrist could do that my family doctor couldn't, was tell whether it was viral or allergy related.  He did say that it was viral but that there could be some allergic reaction as well, so to keep up with the allergy drops, but to stop with the antibiotic.

He told me it runs a three week course - and sure enough, it's better today than it's been.  So it should be over soon. 

Cross your fingers.

And thanks to the friends who cared enough to encourage me to see the optometrist.  Next time I'll probably go see him sooner.  If you run into the same problem, he says it's easier to tell what's going on when it's inflamed and at it's worst.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.