Monday, December 17, 2012

More on the Shooting Issue

Just finished watching a section on the view with Michael Welner, a forensic psychiatrist.  It was very interesting.  I was kind-of annoyed with him at first.  He said that some people who commit mass murders are not mentally ill. 

Then I thought about it and I guess it depends on one's definition of "mentally ill".  In my opinion, one cannot be mentally healthy and perpetrate that kind of evil.  But I don't think "mentally ill" is the same as "not mentally healthy". 

Anyhow, his focus is on the social isolation of kids, feelings of not being loved or being ignored and the culture of violence and celebrity that exist especially in the United States (all things that I also touched on the other day). 

If you are interested, I'd encourage you to track down that interview on "The View" website when it is up tomorrow or later this week.  He had some really interesting opinions. 

But, in my humble opinion, the most important thing that was said - a little later after he was finished, but the hosts talking about what he had said to the audience off-camera - was that if you notice kids or teenagers being isolated or feeling helpless, the best thing you can do is show them love and compassion. 

That's what LIFE comes down to.  Show love and compassion to those who need it.  It can be uncomfortable, it can be really HARD.  But that's what we need to do.  Compassion.  Especially to those we don't really want to give compassion to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.