Thursday, December 20, 2012

My Dad

 My mother just read my last post and pointed out that it was only because my father worked very hard as a firefighter and moonlighted as a truck driver that we could afford for my mother to be at home when we got home from school.  So she thought I should mention him as well. 

My dad (Roy) worked very hard at a job he wasn't always happy doing so he could support his family.  I am forever grateful to him for that.  He is a great guy.  And he did wonderful work saving people and property.  We all have our faults, but my parents did their best to be there for us, to help us have open and enquiring minds, and to support us in what we wanted to do.  I NEVER, EVER felt pressured by my parents to choose a certain path in life.  They let us make our choices - the greatest gift they gave me.  I didn't always choose wisely, but I could always own it.

My father left a grand legacy.  He used his old Kodak Instamatic camera to take slides of our life.  Remember these?:


You know, they had those square plastic flash cubes that could be used for 4 pictures and then had to be changed?


Well, for the past 6 (gasp) years, I've been trying to scan those slides and get them into a form that can be used by all of the family instead of being stored in trays in the basement and never being seen.  I am happy to say that I am on tray 14 of 20 (that means I have scanned 1400 slides).  The first (HP) slide scanner I had could not be used with our new (HP) computer (!), so after the old computer completely packed it in, I had to buy a new scanner.  That took some time, but I finally found an Epson Perfection V330 Photo scanner that would work with our HP computer.  It is brilliant.  The first scanner would only scan 2 at one time, this one does 4 (and is much, much faster in many ways), and the software with this one is SO much better that I've re-scanned most of those 1400 slides over again.

Anyhow, I'm hoping to have them all done soon, but here are just a few of my favourite slides from my Dad's collection:

 
Dad's 35th Birthday party with my sister - not the Puss and Boots cat food on the counter (which I used to eat until I got caught at about 4 years old - might have consumed some of those cans!) over his shoulder - and the blue flower wallpaper along with the turquoise cannisters

 
Someone else's dog ready for that stick!  Fort St. John, B.C.

 
Christmas, 1974
 
 
Bedrock City in Kelowna, B.C. (remember that place?) 1976
 
 
 
Summer 1976 - in Jail at Universal Studios
 
I love these ones because it was Dad normally taking the photos - these are the rare ones where Mom stole the camera and took the photos.  It's nice to see his face in here once in a while.  1400 slides - 5 with my Dad in them.  (don't worry, we have prints with him - but he's missing here).
 

Mom and a baby goat at the Okanagan Game Farm - a location frequented by us regularly in the '70s.
 
I love this last one - just because.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.