Sunday, January 6, 2013

Eavesdropping

Eavesdropping - well the eaves are going to be dropping off our neighbour's house if he doesn't improve his insulation and drainage system .... but that's off topic!

I overheard a conversation this morning.  I didn't mean to.  But I heard my name mentioned, and that always gets my attention.

Often, eavesdropping can hurt your feelings, someone gossiping about you or about someone you know.  I can't say that's happened to me in a long time.  After all, I'm not in high school anymore.  This time it was the exact opposite.  This time someone I respect was saying something very nice about me to someone else I respect.  It made my heart burst!

I can't actually express how wonderful it made me feel, but thank you to both parties for seeing my strengths and noticing enough to say something!

I read something a long time ago (now how did it go?):  Don't let the insults hurt you too much or the compliments lift you up too much.  That wasn't it, whoever said it before me said it much better - but that was the gist of it.  Don't get too full of yourself with a compliment, but also don't tear yourself down over a criticism. 

I am a firm believer in NOTICING the compliments.  Remember them - because it's easier to remember the insults.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.