Friday, January 11, 2013

This week's weight - the saga continues

Okay, trust me, I do know how ridiculous it is for me to be blogging about losing a few pounds - when I'm really not what would be considered overweight.  And I understand how ridiculous it is for it to be taking so long.  But it really was accountability to someone other than myself that got me on the right track (downwards) and is keeping me there.  So thanks again for humouring me.

This week's weigh-in matches this whole saga's low (that occurred on November 29, 2012) ... 140.0!!  (for just a second, the scale was trying to decide if it was 139.8 - but I guess that will be for another week - hopefully next!)

Yay.  Okay ... NOW down into the 130s again, thank you very much.

But something else has been going on - for those of you who don't like to hear about health issues, this may be TMI, but I'm going to mention it anyhow.

I've been tired!!  So tired.  For the past 2 months or so I've been having heart palpitations.  Don't get me wrong, I've had heart palpitations my whole life, but thought I'd figured out how to control them.  When I started feeling them every time I bended (bent?  bendt?) over, it was new, different.  Didn't feel the same.  It started slowly and got worse when I was under some stress over work (but not a whole lot, and I wasn't actively thinking I was stressed).  Then, after my last "cycle" (sorry) I had several days of absolute exhaustion last week.  Couldn't get off the couch.  That's pretty normal for me for a day after my period, but several days is pushing it.

So I got on the Internet and started looking at symptoms of anemia.  Tired?  Check (took a 3 hour nap on Sunday and then was tired at bedtime).  Heart pounding while exercising?  Check (actually, that happens anyhow).  Pale skin?  Well, for a couple of days there, yes!  Very pale.  Dizziness?  Check.  Cold hands and feet?  Check.  Headache?  The worst one I've had in a long time on Wednesday.  But there was this other symptom that I found interesting.  Scooped fingernails.  If you have low iron, your fingernails can start to be concave instead of convex.  Well, two of my toenails have done that slowly over the past couple of years. 

So I called the doctor to make an appointment - 3 1/2 weeks in the future!  The Canadian Health system is very good, but it is not perfect.  If I was having a heart attack, I'd be taken care of right away, but for a regular appointment - almost a month.

My iron has been low before, but I've never considered officially anemic.  I doubt that I'm officially anemic now.  But I thought that it would be worth getting some iron supplements from the pharmacy to take at least until I talk with my doctor.  I'm thinking that maybe not all of us have the same iron requirements - maybe my requirements are a little higher than the average.  Maybe that's why I've always been pale. 

It's only been a few days, so hard to tell if they are helping (I'm not flat out on the couch anymore, though), but after I took one on Wednesday, the horrible headache went away a couple of hours later.  Coincidence?  Maybe.  I'll let you know.  And have I done it to myself by "dieting"?  Maybe.  More importantly, though, I've been cutting back on my meat and egg consumption - the regular once every few years experiment that I go through when I feel I'd be morally happier not to eat animal products.  And NOT eating enough green leafies.  My system just never does do well like that. 

Anyhow, I'll keep you posted.

I want a hamburger!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.