Thursday, March 7, 2013

Perfect snowflakes and magic!

For those of you who don't live in an area that gets snow, it might not be obvious, but those perfect snowflakes that we see in Charlie Brown cartoons, that we emulate with paper cutouts at Christmas ... well, they are rare.  It is a special day when you can see perfect snowflakes falling from the sky.  And today was one of those days:








I don't actually believe that every single snowflake that has ever fallen in the history of the world has been unique.  I understand we're talking molecular levels here, but there have just been SO many of them - perhaps one could do the math .... 

But all the ones I looked at today were different from each other. 

Anyhow, as I was watching them fall, and thinking about what this blog post would hold, and taking the photos of these amazing works of art from nature, I thought of a book my mother gave to my son.  It's called "Snowflake Bentley" and it is about Wilson Bentley (1865-1931), an early photographer who found a way to photograph snowflakes. 

In his day, he had to photograph snowflakes under a microscope - and to do it without the snowflakes melting must have been a challenge.  For more information, you can order the book from the library, or check out this website.  His photos are amazing!

All of this got me to thinking.  Not even 100 years ago, it was a miracle to be able to photograph snowflakes.  One person was championing the craft.  Now, anyone can go out, set their hand-me-down Fuji Finepix S1000fd camera to "super macro" and take a bunch of them.  We live in a time that would have been considered literally magical only a short while ago.  Remember to be in awe of that.  And to be grateful. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. My husband photographs snowflakes as a hobby. This helped me choose a camera for him to make his hobby easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, Valerie - glad you found the post.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.