Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Secret to Losing Weight is .... MATH!!

Okay, so last September I decided I needed to lose some weight before going to Disneyland at the end of October.  I managed to take off nearly 6 pounds in about 8 weeks.  Since that time, I've been hovering between 140 and 143.  I'm not happy about that.  I want to weigh less.

I realized, while on vacation at Easter, that I'm definitely a stress eater.  My husband made a comment that stressed me out and I wanted to go directly to the Cadbury's Easter eggs that were in my purse (Easter is a HORRIBLE time for us chocolate addicts).

So it's been a struggle.  Much more of a weight struggle  than in the past.  I am assured by all that it is definitely harder when you're over 40.  That's reassuring, but doesn't help with motivation to lose weight.

Well, I ran across this website which is helping a lot.  It's www.myfitnesspal.com.  I've got an account and have lost 2 pounds in 1 week (today's weight:  139.8 - been there before, but not below that in a couple of years).  It keeps close track of calories in and calories expended.  MATH ... that's the secret ... maybe.

However, it is the same with this computer program as with everything else.  I push it.  I wonder how many cookies I can fit in.  How many days do I do good before cheating big time?  And I'm feeling quite put out about not being able to go out for dinner - because, let's face it, restaurant meals are not part of a weight loss scheme.

However, 150 is no longer acceptable.  And I don't want to get back to that weight.  So I think the way to truly deal with this is to face my emotions a little more honestly and try to recognize when I'm eating emotionally and not because I'm hungry.

This is a really big problem for a lot of people.  I know it is difficult.  And I know I don't have a weight problem per se .... but if things continued as they were, I would have.

So ... to face the demons.  Hmm.  Wish me luck.

And I'll keep up with my fitness pal and continue to ride the new elliptical my husband bought for himself. 

Any book suggestions for emotional eaters?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.