Friday, May 17, 2013

Boobs and Gay Marriage - why I'm bothered at all

Okay, so it happened.  A couple of things came across FB in the past couple of days that pointed out a major human flaw to me yet again.  And so I am back to the blog and posting on it.

Let me first point out the two things.

So Angelina Jolie had a double mastectomy - unless you live under a rock, you probably heard about it this week.   Her mother died at 56 from breast cancer.  She has the gene that means that she has an 87% chance of getting breast cancer.  This was probably the hardest decision of her life.  Because she is a public figure, she has to tell people in a way she feels comfortable with and after the fact.  She chose the New York Times, apparently.

I have no problem with any of it, it's her life.  However, the very next day, a FB page called "Farmacology" (okay, I thought it was called that, but now I can't find it, it might have been another one, but now I can't find the post at all.  Maybe they removed it), which I used to like, posted an article  (either exactly this article, or one just like it) that was criticizing Jolie for being a patsy to Western Medicine and getting an operation which wasn't necessary.  And that she was apparently talked into it by money-grubbing surgeons who only wanted to make a profit.  Well, I commented on their post saying that it was none of their business what choices she made for her body and that unless they were her and had gone through what she had, they shouldn't criticize.  My comment was blocked and I wasn't allowed to comment again.

"Unlike" Farmacology (or whatever it was).  If they can't handle an honest critique, I want nothing to do with them (says the woman who wouldn't take comments on her blog because she couldn't handle harassment ... but that's a different story ... in this case, I wasn't harassing.  I was commenting).

The other thing that came across this morning was George Takei's response to young Christian kids putting down gay marriage.  Here it is if you missed it.  As always, George took a hate situation and put a humourous spin on it.  Love George.

So how are these two things tied together?  And what human flaw is pointed out to me yet again?

Here it is:  there are over 7 billion of us on this planet now, right?  Each one of us has our own life experience, our own belief system and our own point of view, right?  So what makes any of us think that our point of view and belief system can make up the rules for the other 7 billion+??  And what makes us think we have the right to criticize people just because they have a different opinion and/or way of living.

That guy who wrote the op/ed about Jolie being duped - well, he wasn't Angelina Jolie watching her mother die at the age of 56.  He isn't a famous, beautiful actress with 6 children married to Brad Pitt.  He doesn't have her life, her experiences or even BREASTS.  So who the hell's business is it of his if she wants to live her life contrary to what he believes?

And I know there are a lot of people out there who do not understand homosexuality.  I have adorable, loving friends who don't believe that people should be homosexual.  But just because you don't understand it does not mean you need to fear it.  Just because you believe it is a sin to be a homosexual, does not make it so for everyone else.  Just because it's not how YOU live your life, does not mean it isn't how someone else is most comfortable living theirs.

I personally don't believe that God created anyone in any way that is contrary to nature.  God uses nature to create.  God uses us to create.  We are all part of nature.  So anything that exists on this planet that does not directly hurt anyone else .... well, it's none of your business.  If, in your opinion, these men and women are going to hell .... why does it matter?  It's not you.  Let them be happy.  (Just to clarify, the God I believe in wouldn't send anyone to hell for loving someone else ... ever!)

Believe me ... I am not perfect.  I'm still working on letting other people (especially family) live their lives without inserting my opinions.  But I AM working on it.  I fail.  We all do.  But I strive toward open-mindedness and allowing others to live the best way for them.


There is a line, however.  If someone is doing something that harms another, then I'll take offence.  For instance - you really shouldn't kill other people.  It's not a good thing.  It's really, really bad.  So just don't kill anyone, okay.

Joe Biden won my life-long respect when he voiced it as well as anyone could while talking about abortion:


Your personal beliefs do not give you a right to impose limits on others.  And they do not give you the right to criticize.

I learn from many different sources.  Christianity is one - and they have some good rules to live by.  But Wicca puts it most succinctly:  "aye harm none, do what ye will."  (still leaves some things open to interpretation, but covers most things pretty well).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.