Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Roles - Part 2

After writing yesterday's post about female roles, a friend posted this article on Facebook about how some women feel shamed for not having children:

http://thoughtcatalog.com/jamie-berube/2014/02/you-shouldnt-need-a-reason-for-not-having-kids/

And I wondered if that post of mine had sounded "anti-feminist."  I wondered if I had sounded all "you-should-all-stay-home-with-your-kids-and-cook-and-garden-because-that's-what-I-do."

In writing that post yesterday, I was defending those of us who do not work full time, who have families, who choose to cook at home and take care of our houses and children (I also work, but very part time from home - see, I still feel the need to add that to show that I contribute to the finances).  But in no way did I intend to criticize anyone who is doing anything else.  We each have our own path in life and if what you are doing works for you, then keep on keeping on.  If it doesn't, then please don't keep doing it in fear of the judgement of others.

Do what works for you.

No judgement from these quarters at all.  If you can work and have kids and it's not killing you and your kids are great - then I applaud you and you have something I don't - the ability to do that.  And you should be proud that your life is working for you.  I do know people like that.  And I'm very happy for them.

If you are doing ANYTHING that isn't working for you, please start the small adjustments that it takes to change it.  Because you should be happy!  You shouldn't be exhausted or bullied into doing something you don't want to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.