Thursday, May 22, 2014

Biscuit Tin

Those of you who know me personally are aware that I'm an archaeologist, a historian, and sometimes obsessed with old artifacts.  Every once in a while I get the urge to find out about an item in my house that I have either confiscated from a relative (pre- or post-mortem) or purchased somewhere (especially if I'm supposed to be doing something else!).

Today I was dusting a piece of furniture in my house and found this:






It is a Huntley & Palmers biscuit tin that was made in 1950 (note the mid-century seagulls) - they were based in Reading, Berkshire, England.  I do believe I got it from my maternal grandmother's house when she was moved into a home.  Which means I've had it for over 20 years and never really looked into it.  Shame on me.  The painting was done by Stanhope A. Forbes in 1893 and is of the Cornish seaside.  I don't know why, but I LOVE this stuff.  Not the tin - well I like the tin - but I love researching things and finding out where and when they came from.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.