Thursday, June 26, 2014

Memories ...

When I was 5 or 6 years old, I walked from our living room into our kitchen where my mother was standing at the sink.  I clearly remember walking in there to tell her this one thing, because it seemed like such an fundamental thing to have realized.

I said to her "life is only memories, really, isn't it?" - or something to that effect - my memory isn't so great that I can remember the exact words.  I remember thinking that the present moment is so fleeting that what we experience is really only memories.

Kind of makes sense that this epiphany about memories is such a strong memory for me now - and my parents still remember it, too.

At the time, I didn't think much about it.  I thought all 5 or 6 year olds came to the same realization.

40 years later, I know that not everyone would even come to that realization in their lifetime.  I know that a lot of people don't even consider thinking on that level.  And I now know that I've been a deep thinker from a young age.

Doesn't make me better or worse than anyone else - just one of those people who thinks about things a certain way.

But I can't imagine how shocked my parents must have been when I said that to my Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.