Thursday, July 31, 2014

Postcards - sort of

Okay, so this one isn't really about the postcards, but it is part of my family history research, and it's pretty darned cool.

As a continuation of what I wrote at the end of my last postcard post: on my Great-Grandfather's birth certificate, it says he was born at the Leys of Hillhead in Rafford.  The Leys and Hillhead don't exist according to Google Maps or the Internet, so a search got me nowhere there.  So I got in touch with the Earl of Morayshire's land management company and asked if they knew.  They did not.  I kinda gave up at that point.

Today I was looking for Drainie, and I found a road by that name but no community, so I found a website showing the roads in the area and attached maps.  Well, darned if I didn't find Hillhead and it's Leys on a map from 1874.  I bought a digital copy from the National Archives of Scotland, but here's a screen capture showing the properties:


This is some cool genealogy!  I've been lost in this and the garden all day.  (Don't know about you, but I LOVE old maps and photos).

Here is the property of the Leys as it looks today (thank you Google StreetView):


My assumption is that they lived in the small building on the left that is barely visible.  I can't imagine that they would have had the larger old house in the middle.  Of course, the one on the right is new.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.