Sugar and the Immune System

A couple of times now I've mentioned how I'm not eating sugar. 42 years of experimentation has shown me that I simply feel better when not consuming the stuff. It used to be that I could have a little, but it seems that with age even that has changed.

I know that certain people out there don't necessarily believe that sugar is a hindrance to the immune system, and for many of you it may not be. Or your immune systems may be strong enough to fight through any ill effects, but I thought I'd share a little something that just came to me today through an e-mail from Dr. Mercola. Dr. Mercola is a medically trained doctor who believes in nutritional and alternative treatments for things. He has been on Dr. Oz and seems to be a really wise person. (He does have a lot of products for sale on his site, but I ignore that and just read his research - which is well cited).

So here it is. The five reasons he states for having an impaired immune system (which you have if you come down with a cold):

1. Eating too much sugar or too many grains (note - number 1 reason)
2. Not getting enough rest
3. Using insufficient strategies to address emotional stressors in your life
4. Vitamin D deficiency
5. Any combination of the above.

Now, currently having a cold, I may not be the poster child for eliminating sugar, getting lots of sleep and taking Vitamin D (still not sure how well I deal with life's stresses!). But let me put this into perspective: by the time I was in graduate school (and even before), every time I got a cold it would turn into bronchitis and last 3 weeks. I'd be on antibiotics each time. One time I was on antibiotics three doses in a row and the last one was a double dose of a very powerful antibiotic. That's not good for you.

Over the past year or so, I've managed not to have to go on antibiotics at all - last year the colds still lasted up to 3 weeks, but I fought off the infections. And this fall, the one time (previously) that I had a cold, it's lasted the expected 7-10 days (start to finish) and was a fraction of the pain colds used to be. Definite, significant improvement has been noted.

Now, reflecting on number 4, I was thinking this morning as I drove my son to school and my husband to work (ah the joys of owning only one car), that I don't really care for this time of year in Central Alberta. I mean, it's beautiful outside, the air is never crisper than when it's -30C (which it is the morning thanks to the jet stream, apparently), but for those precious few hours when the sun is out, it is always in the bottom 1/5 of the sky, blinding you at every turn. It's dark at 7:30 in the morning and at 4:30 at night. And there is no hope of getting any Vitamin D naturally. As a matter of fact, I've heard that anyone living this far North will ALWAYS have a Vitamin D deficiency - you simply can't get enough sunshine up here to last you the year. I certainly have noticed a difference since I started taking Vitamin D last Christmas (thanks Krystal for that tip).

So, if you want to, take a look at Mercola's site and think about his tips. Most of them are pretty easy to implement, and some of them are making a world of difference to me. Of course, if I come down with bronchitis in the next week I'll have to take this all back, but for now I seem to be on my way up.

Hope all of you out there are and stay healthy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Titanic Connections

Flea Beetles! ... and leaf miners.

Recipes from the summer of '35