Acting Locally

I was in Peace River last week. For those of you who don't know, Peace River is a small community (little over 6,000 people) in Northern Alberta. I figure where we live is northern (just south of Edmonton), but P.R. is truly north! It was a great trip. Thanks to L for taking me with her.

Anyhow, it was a cool little community. Lots of community spirit and the kind of place where everyone knows everyone else. We had some great Chinese Food at TJ's, and we also ate a couple of meals at a place called the Java Domain.

The Java Domain stuck out to me because it was obvious to me almost immediately that they are trying to use less plastic in their operations. The first thing I noticed were the pressed-cardboard takeaway containers, not styrofoam (they DO exist!!). Then I noticed that they actually had china plates to eat off of, and metal flatware. The only single-use plastic I saw were jam and peanut butter containers - and they are probably necessary due to health regulations (although they shouldn't be!).

So my hat's off to the Java Domain! Small town Alberta is not the easiest place to be green, but they are making the effort. If you're ever up there I highly recommend it. The food is fantastic, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Titanic Connections

Flea Beetles! ... and leaf miners.

Recipes from the summer of '35