What is more important ...

It's been an interesting couple of months. As I've mentioned a few times, September and October were the best "mood months" I've had in years. Attributed, in my mind at least, to not consuming sugar. Then I started work at the Wetaskiwin Library, and because of reduced time to: exercise; take care of things that I felt needed to be done; go to my yoga classes; etc., I started to feel crappy, over-react to things, and generally just not be my new normal, balanced self.



Originally, I decided to take on this job because an extra $400 per month would be helpful, I'd get out of the house and see people, make new friends, etc. And it sounded like a good idea. In retrospect, for whatever reasons, it's affecting my health - both physical and mental. So it is not worth it.



So I started thinking ... what is more important to me than the $12/hr that I was making at the Library? And that led to thinking: What is more important than money or the things it can buy? Of course, I can only have these thoughts because we have enough money. Not enough money to travel the world, maybe, but enough money to live comfortably, to buy healthy food, to be entertained when we choose. If we didn't, this list would be very different. Priorities change with one's place in the world. But for now:




  • My health is more important than money or the things it can buy.

  • My family is more important than money or the things it can buy.

  • My goals in life are more important than money or the things it can buy.

  • The time to make and grow homemade, healthy food is more important than money or the things it can buy.

and, of course, there are many, many more I could write. I've learned over the years that although I can be motivated by money, other things motivate me more. And feeling good is definitely one of them. When you feel that crappy and how how to fix it, you do.



These priorities are mine. I'm sure there are lots of people out there who put money above their health, or (sadly) above their families, or their goals (or maybe money is their goal) ... and that is their free will to do so. But I wondered about those of you reading this. And I wonder what your lists would look like. You don't need to share them with me, because such things can be highly personal, but I felt the urge to write this at this time. Maybe it's the season, or maybe someone out there needed a reminder. I'm not sure. But here it is if you choose to contemplate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Titanic Connections

Flea Beetles! ... and leaf miners.

Recipes from the summer of '35