St. Augustine, Florida

Went to a great place today - St. Augustine, Florida.  St. Augustine is touted as the oldest city in America.  It was a Spanish colony that was founded in the early 1600s, I believe - don't remember all the dates.  There's the old fort, a live interpretation area and a museum with lots of archaeologcial stuff in it.  I quite enjoyed the day.

The first place we went was the museum with the archaeological materials.  I got to see a lot of things that I've only read about in books - I never get to do this early historic archaeology, so it was quite cool to finally see it first hand.

Then we went to the live interpretation place - and had the BEST first-person interpretation tour ever.  Very clever, very funny and really well done.  Hat's off to the couple who did the routine.  The tour was through a plantation owner's city house.  What struck me the most was the sheer lack of materials in the house.  I used to see such as thing as just the lack of money or available suitable materials to furnish the museum, but now I realize it was really because people just didn't have so much STUFF back then.  Makes me think (again) that we just have too much stuff.  Too many things tying us down.  Certainly very little of it is really necessary.

Anyhow, then we did the fort, and after that, at about 5pm, we took Daniel to the ocean - because he really wanted to go to the beach.  We weren't there long because it was really, really cold, but we did collect a bunch of shells and got to put our feet in the Atlantic Ocean - Daniel's first time in this particular body of water.

A good day all around.  My only comment is that I wish we had had more time there - but I think that is going to be my mantra on this vacation.  Not enough time.  So I just have to enjoy it for what it is.  At least I got to see these things.

Now, if only this itchy rash would go away ... it's great being in a new environment!  (not to worry, it's only on my neck and arms, and isn't that bad, but it is strange).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Titanic Connections

Flea Beetles! ... and leaf miners.

Recipes from the summer of '35