The Eleventh Hour

Just tonight I watched Leonardo Dicaprio's enviornmental documentary "The Eleventh Hour".

I've also been reading a book called "The Long Emergency".

Both are rather depressing.  But only because they are telling us that things have to change.  And, let's face it, life has been rather easy and comfortable for quite a while now, and we don't really want things to change.

Want it or not, however, change is coming.  The form that change will take is what is in question.  If we don't each individually make some major alterations in our lifestyles, the change will be much more uncomfortable.  And, frankly, my faith in humanity is such that I suspect that is what is going to happen.  I just can't help but think the vast majority of people (not those of you who read my rantings on a regualr basis, but the seemingly uncaring rednecks that I see on a daily basis) don't pay enough attention and don't think about it enough to realize that we need to make these changes.

I hope I'm wrong.  I hope my pessimism about humanity isn't valid.  I know that most people really do care, but I also know that this is a topic from which even the nicest people turn because their stomachs can't face the reality of what we have been doing to our Mother Earth.

In any case, I recommend the book and movie noted above.  I suggest you watch/read them when you are in a psychological position to be able to handle them.  You might also like:

"Deep Green" - movie
"An Inconvenient Truth" - movie and book
"Bag It" - a movie I really want to see but haven't yet

Please don't turn your back on the topic of the environment - even if it makes you uncomfortable or worried.  We all need to know about them.  And we ALL need to act.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Titanic Connections

Flea Beetles! ... and leaf miners.

Recipes from the summer of '35