Pikachu Cupcakes

Some background:  Every year we have two birthdays for Daniel.  We have a quiet family party on his actual birthday (December 27), and a kid birthday party at the end of June - before school lets out.  Christmas is a lousy time to have a birthday - it gets lost.  So we thought this was a nice idea.  Plus then the birthday party has at least an outside chance of taking place out of doors.

So this is how the birthday cake discussion started this year:  "I want Pikachu on my birthday cake this year".  "Okay".

A few days later:  "Daniel, would it be okay if I made cupcakes for your birthday instead of a cake?"  You see, I'd found a recipe in the "Jamie's America" cookbook that looked good and easy.  Cupcakes, icing, some sprinkles and you're done.  "But I told you several times that I want Pikachu".  And then my husband came up with a great idea - make Pikachu faces out of the cupcakes.  Alright, I can do that.  It'll be easier than decorating a whole cake, right.  You see, I didn't inherit my mother's talent for decorating cakes, and I'm just not that into it.  Cupcakes sounded easier. 

So Vanilla wafers (cut up and dipped in chocolate) for ears, Smarties (with icing highlights) for eyes and cheeks and frosting to make mouths and noses.  It wasn't particularly hard - just time consuming.  And it is virtually impossible not to pig out on sugar when you are doing this sort of thing (I don't want to be me tomorrow, because I'll pay for that).

But anyhow, here they are: 


Yes, being the mother of a 7-year-old causes you to do things you never even dreamed about.  And this is one of them.  Any other Pokemon fiends out there?  Daniel would like to commune.

P.S.  for those of you who don't know, this is what Pikachu really looks like:  http://pixhd.net/cartoons/view/2/preview12.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Titanic Connections

Flea Beetles! ... and leaf miners.

Recipes from the summer of '35