Yesterday's Breakfast

There has been a certain dearth of vegetation in my diet as of late.  I'm not sure what's been going on.  Lazy?  Maybe.  So the other day my body requested some greens.  To put it bluntly, I closed my eyes and saw chickweed (yes, chickweed is edible - a piece of knowledge that could feed your family and keep the lawn weed-free for years) - and when that happens, you need to take the hint.  So I went into the garden a picked anything green that was edible.  This included chickweed and that other weed that is sticky ... what's it called ... goosegrass!  Also mint, sage, turnip greens, spinach, the little carrots I thinned, lettuce - all of it.

Now, our friends across the street bought a VitaMix blender a while ago - they're nice, powerful things like you find at smoothie joints.  So I took all my green stuff - plus an apple and an orange over to their house to be turned almost instantly into juice.  It wasn't particularly palatable, so I added a banana.  And then it was okay.

So yesterday morning I did the same thing.  Only this time I added rhubarb, dandilions, a few more herbs and raspberry leaves.


When blended it looked like this:


Okay, okay ... so not the most appetizing drink ever.  But think of all the vitamins, nutrients and fibre.

I have to say that the rhubarb gave it a definite tart taste.  I'm not that fond of rhubarb, and I'd probably leave it out of my next one, but it wan't too bad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Titanic Connections

Flea Beetles! ... and leaf miners.

Recipes from the summer of '35